The scheduling function in BusinessObjects enables you to run reports at specific times, even when you are not logged in to BusinessObjects.You can schedule a report to run repeatedly or once. For example, you can:
- Run a report at regular intervals (once a week, after Month End Close, etc.) and automatically email a PDF or Excel version of the latest results to selected users' email or BusinessObjects inbox..
- Refresh a long-running report during off-hours.
- Schedule a report to refresh, then leave your desk or work another report. You don't need to be logged in while the report runs.
This procedure includes the following:
- Schedule a Report
- Select a Destination
- View Report History
- Reschedule a Report
- Delete a Recurring Scheduled Report
- Add Additional Email Recipient(s) to a Scheduled Report
- Modify and Replace a Scheduled Report
- ITS Deletion of Older Instances
- To schedule a UM-maintained report, copy it to your My Favorites folder or subfolder.
- Select times when the Data Warehouse is available: Sunday, noon - Saturday, 11 p.m.
- Avoid scheduling reports:
- When the data set(s) they use are being refreshed (see Refresh Schedule).
- During the daily reboot of BusinessObjects servers, 4:00 - 5:30 a.m.
When scheduling email delivery of reports containing sensitive information:
- Do not send BusinessObjects reports via e-mail to non-umich addresses or to a distribution list.
- Never use email to send reports containing social security numbers or other sensitive data.
If you modify a scheduled report, BusinessObjects will run the modified version at the scheduled time(s).
Note to Financial data set users: To streamline your report for scheduling, replace query prompts with report objects such as Today's Date, Previous Accounting Period, Current Fiscal Year and more, in combination with calendars such as Month End Close. See Use Report Objects in Query Filters and Scheduling Recurring FInancials Reports.
Schedule a Report
- Open the applicable folder in My Favorites.
- Right-click the report title and select Schedule.
- Optional: Rename the Instance Title. For example, if you schedule a report for a particular DeptID, you can add that value to the title.
- An instance is a single scheduled refresh of the report, stored with data. A report can have multiple instances.
- If you schedule the report to run more than once, the same title is used for every instance.
- Click Recurrence in the left-hand panel.
- Select a value from the Run object drop-down list.
- If applicable, enter recurrence options.
- For most recurrence options, you must specify a number (N), such as every 6 days or every 3 months. For example, to run the report every two weeks, select Daily and enter 14 in the Days(N) field.
- See Using Report Objects in Query Filters to use the Calendar option (e.g., the Month End Close calendar) with objects such as Previous Accounting Period and Current Fiscal Year.
- Since each schedule has only one set of prompt values, you may need to create multiple schedules for a single report. For example, you could set up 12 schedules for a report--one for each month, with different prompt values.
- Adjust start and end times as needed. You do not need an end time if you run the report Now or Once.
- The default end year is 10 years in the future.
- See Scheduling Guidelines to determine appropriate times to schedule your report.
- If your report contains prompts, click Prompts to check the prompt value(s).
- Click Modify to select prompt value(s).
- Make your changes, then click Apply.
- If no prompt values are specified, BusinessObjects will run the report, but it will fail.
- To change prompt values after scheduling the report, reschedule it and replace the old version with the new one.
- In some cases, you can modify a report to replace prompts with report objects such as Today's Date.
- Click Formats.
- Select the desired format under Output Format or accept the default (Web Intelligence).
Note: If you are sending the report by email, do not select Web Intelligence. The recipient will be unable to open the report.
Select A Destination
- Click Destinations and select the applicable Destination for the output file. The Default Enterprise Location, means the instance(s) will be stored in the same folder as the report.
- Verify that User List is highlighted under Available Recipients.
- Search for the recipient In the Find Title field..
- Select the name you want in the search results and click to add this name to Selected Recipients.
- Repeat steps A-C for any additional recipients.
- Click Schedule in the lower right corner.
- Enter the email addresses of recipients, separated by commas, In the To: field.
- Type a subject.
- Verify the Add attachment checkbox is checked.
- Verify the Add File Extension checkbox is checked.
- Type a message in the Message field.
- Click Schedule in the lower right corner.
Note: The History window displays.
- if you chose to run the report Now, click Refresh to update the status.
- To return to the list of reports in the current folder, close the History window.
View Report History
- To access a report's history, right-click the report title and select History.
Note: The Last Run column displays the last time a scheduled report ran.
- Click the link under Instance Time or Title to view a specific instance (run) of a report.
Reschedule a Report
- From the History window, right-click an instance whose status is Recurring. Select Reschedule. The Reschedule window opens.
Note: If a job fails, it will not run again. You need to reschedule it.
- Select the desired options under Reschedule.
- Replace displays in the left column if this report is scheduled for future runs. Select Create new schedule from existing schedule to schedule additional runs of this report--for example, with different prompt values. Otherwise, select Replace existing schedule.
- If applicable, select Prompts to modify prompt values.
Note: You can change the Instance Title to reflect a prompt value, such as, a specific Dept.
- When finished, click Schedule.
Delete a Recurring Scheduled Report
If you no longer want a scheduled report to run:
- Right-click the report title, and select History.
- Click an instance whose status is Pending or Recurring.
- Select Delete from the Organize drop-down list.
- Select OK to confirm deletion.
Add Additional Email Recipient(s) to a Scheduled Report
- From the History window, highlight an instance and select Reschedule from the More Actions drop-down list.
- Click Replace in the left column.
- Click the Replace existing schedule radio button to replace the current job with your new settings.
- Click Destinations in the left column.
- Add additional email recipients in the To: or Cc: field, separated by a comma.
- Click Schedule.
Note: The History window displays. To return to the current folder, close the History window.
Modify and Replace a Scheduled Report
You can preserve scheduling and history when modifying a report that resides in a shared folder, such as Unit-Maintained. The first step is to copy the report from the shared folder to a personal folder. If something does not work correctly in the new version, you can return to the original.
- Navigate to the shared folder.
- Right-click the report and select Copy from the Organize drop-down list.
- Navigate to a folder in your Favorites and select Paste from the Organize drop-down menu.
- Open the report and modify as needed.
Note: If this report came from a shared folder, you may want to have someone review the revised report before copying over the original.
- To save the modified report back to the original folder, select Save as from the Save drop-down menu.
- Navigate to the original folder in the Save As dialog box.
- Click the title of the original report in the Title column.
- Click Save.
- Click OK to confirm overwriting the existing file.
Note: Because the revised report has the same title and location as the original, the schedule and history are preserved.
ITS Deletion of Older Instances
ITS periodically deletes BusinessObjects scheduled report instances that ran more than 120 days ago.
Each time a scheduled report runs, it creates an instance--a single refresh of the report, stored with data. A report can have multiple instances. ITS periodically deletes instances (not the scheduled report itself) that are more than 4 months old.
NOTE: This policy does not affect reports that are scheduled to run in the future (recurring and pending instances).
If you navigate to a scheduled report, you can see the last time it ran and the number of instances.
To keep an instance that is more than 120 days old:
- Right-click the report title in the report list and select History.
- Click the desired date under Instance Time.
- Note: Verify that the Type is Web Intelligence. Other formats such as PDF or Excel will open in an application other than BusinessObjects.
- When the report opens, select Save > Save as to save it with a different name.
For assistance or questions, contact the ITS Service Center.